Thursday, September 19, 2013

Welcome

As an analyst, I've had a relatively small amount of experience with the salesforce.com backend setup, configuration, and programming.  My expertise is in understanding object structures and relationships to facilitate better reporting than is available in the generic "Reports" and "Dashboards" tabs.

It has been my experience that salesforce.com plays to the lowest common denominator as part of their multi-tenant structure, which tends to result in only moderately useful add-ons.  Where they truly excel is in their platform design, on top of which they have built their now-famous Sales Cloud and Service Cloud.

A few years back, I had built a thrown-together workflow website to help the customer service teams route incoming purchase orders through the manual data entry teams.  After administering this site for more than two years and bumping my head against very cumbersome code updates (it was originally built on a .NET infrastructure) to enable minor changes to the user experience, I decided to learn more about the capabilities of the force.com platform and invested a few weeks to migrate the application.

That project was so successful, I began looking for other ways to augment my force.com skills.

The company I work for has now been using salesforce.com for over seven years.  As is the case with many companies when they first purchase a service, the emphasis was on speed-to-functionality rather than the best end product, which resulted in many shortcuts, which have slowly accumulated over the years to form what we refer to as "spaghetti code" where poorly written code trips over other code, causing ugly user errors and broken functionality.

My new goal: revamp the foundation from the ground up.  As I run into and overcome obstacles during this process, I endeavor to share those findings with the next do-it-yourselfer.
Happy Coding!

No comments :

Post a Comment